- A History of Madhesh Swaraj Movement, from A History of Madhesh (Hindi, PDF )
- Free Madhesh Movement – Newsletter 2017 (English, PDF)
Response by the Government of Nepal:
Alliance for Independent Madhesh (AIM) president Dr. C.K. Raut is currently facing seven sedition charges, with one already cleared off by the Supreme Court of Nepal. More than 100 members of AIM are facing sedition charges.
1) Special Court of Nepal, Charge Sheet on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut, Writ No. 071-CR-093, October 8, 2014.
2) Special Court of Nepal, Decision on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut, Writ No. 071-CR-093, April 23, 2015.
3) Supreme Court of Nepal, Decision on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut, Writ No. 072-CR-0313, January 17, 2016. (Morang)
4) Special Court of Nepal, Charge Sheet on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al (17 defendants), Writ No. 072-CR-0053, January 24, 2016.
5) Special Court of Nepal, Charge Sheet on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (4 defendants), Writ No. 071-CR-0081, March 11, 2016.
6) Special Court of Nepal, Charge Sheet on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (4 defendants), Writ No. 071-CR-0082, March 11, 2016.
7) Special Court of Nepal, Charge Sheet on Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (8 defendants), Writ No. 071-CR-0101, April 12, 2016.
8) District Court of Nepal Siraha, Charge Sheet on Organised Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (26 defendants), April 3, 2017.
9) Special Court of Nepal Rauthat, Charge Sheet on Organised Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (6 defendants), April 4, 2016.
10) Special Court of Nepal Rupandehi, Charge Sheet on Organised Crime Against State Case of the Government of Nepal vs. Dr C.K. Raut et al. (49 defendants), Writ No. 073-CR-0673, April 19, 2017.
11) Agreement between the Government of Nepal and Dr. C. K. Raut, October 1, 2014.
RESPONSE OF NEPAL ARMY:
Asian Human Rights Commission, “NEPAL: The Madhesi hunting spree continues,” AHRC-STM-031-2016, March 15, 2016.
“To confront ‘secessionist’ moves: CoAS,” Kathmandu Post, February 24, 2017.
Press Release of Nepal Army, June 18, 2017.
“Nepal Army to be deployed automatically,” Telegraph Nepal, March 7, 2016.
RESPONSE BY OTHER COUNTRIES/UN:
UK Parliament, “Nepal: Human Rights Written question – 11243,” October 16, 2015.
“European envoys’ meeting with Nepalese activist sparks furore,” Yahoo News, January 27, 2015.
“EU rejoinder regarding press reports on a meeting with Dr. CK Raut,” Embassy of France, February 11, 2015;
“Clarification of 8 European Ambassadors Regarding Meeting with CK Raut,” Annapurna Post (Nepali), January 27, 2015.
Xinhua, “EU envoys clarify meeting with controversial Nepalese activist,” Global Times, January 28, 2015.
“India courts radical Madhesis from Nepal,” The Hindu, January 29, 2016;
“Question to India: Why welcome secessionist of Nepal?” Online Khabar (Nepali), January 28, 2016.
Press Trust of India (PTI), “India still skeptical about Nepal Constitution: media, Indian officials even met with the secessionist Madhesi leader C K Raut in New Delhi,” Business Standard (India), February 21, 2016;
INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY/HUMAN-RIGHTS BODIES APPEALS:
Amnesty International, “Nepal: Authorities must unconditionally release CK Raut with immediate effect,” 17th October 2014, Index number: ASA 31/007/2014, URL: https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/asa31/007/2014/en/
Amnesty International, “Nepal: Dissenting Voices at Risk,” 5th December 2014, Index number: ASA 31/008/2014, URL: https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/asa31/008/2014/en/
Human Rights Watch, “Nepal: Drop Sedition Charges against Madhesi Activist: Arrest of CK Raut Violates Free Speech Rights,” 14th October 2014, URL: http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/10/14/nepal-drop-sedition-charges-against-madhesi-activist
Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales (BHRC), “Regarding Dr Chandra Kant Raut charged with sedition,” 6th November 2014, URL: http://www.barhumanrights.org.uk/bhrc-sends-open-letter-prime-minister-nepal-response-arrest-and-prosecution-madhesi-activist-chandra
United Nations Human Rights Council (UN-HRC), Universal Periodic Review, November 2015. (Submitted by Asian Legal Resource Centre, ALRC-UPR-001-2015, November 3, 2015.)
OHCHR, Bulletin 2015/1, pg. 9, January-June, 2015.
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Nepal, “Nepal Monthly Report – October 2014,” October 31, 2014, URL: http://un.info.np/Net/NeoDocs/View/4691
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Nepal, “Nepal Monthly Report – September 2014,” September 30, 2014.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “Immediately release Doctor Chandra Kant Raut who have been confined into illegal and arbitrary confinement,” Urgent Appeal Case: AHRC-UAC-132-2014, September 13, 2014.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “NEPAL: Mass arrests on eve of SAARC summit,”
November 29, 2014.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “Save Dr. C. K. Raut Campaign,” 2014.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “NEPAL: Fair trial possible for Dr. Raut?” AHRC-ART-082-2014, October 14, 2014, URL: http://www.humanrights.asia/news/ahrc-news/AHRC-ART-082-2014
Asian Human Rights Commission, “Police intrudes Dr. Raut’s privacy and security keeping him under 24 hours surveillance,” AHRC-STM-105-2015, July 3, 2015.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “Police going berserk in Nepal’s Terai,” AHRC-STM-123-2015, July 29, 2015.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “NEPAL: Police must follow due process in arrest and investigation,” AHRC-STM-008-2017, February 10, 2017.
Asian Human Rights Commission, “NEPAL: Dr. C.K. Raut’s properties and bank accounts frozen and passport annulled by the government,” AHRC-STM-024-2017, April 11, 2017.
SOME SELECTED NEWS (ENGLISH):
Amnesty International, Annual Global Report 2016/17, February 22, 2017.
International Crisis Group, “Nepal’s Divisive New Constitution: An Existential
Crisis,” Crisis Group Asia Report N°276, April 4, 2016.
Prashant Jha, “Why India must speak up strongly on Nepal,” Hindustan Times, March 17, 2017: “The alternative is a secessionist movement at the border.”
Biswas Baral, “With Debate Over Constitutional Amendments, Nepal Enters a New Phase of Uncertainty,” The Wire, May 12, 2016.
“Nepal arrests prominent Madhes rights activist: Raut’s arrest in the southern city of
Janakpur is likely to cause ripples in the Tarai region,” Hindustan Times, February 2, 2017.
“Secession advocate CK Raut arrested in Janakpur,” Himalayan Times, February 3, 2017;
Vishnu Sharma, “What The Arrest of CK Raut Means For Nepal,” The Citizen, February 6, 2017;
Pratim Ranjan Bose,“With rising anger in the plains, elections may prove uphill task in Nepal: CK Raut’s call for an independent Madhesh received greater public participation than the rallies of Madhesi parties,” Hindu Businessline (India), March 17, 2017.
“CK Raut arrest: Nepal govt closely watching international community response,”
Onlinekhabar, February 3, 2017.
Puru Shah, “Silencing CK Raut,” The Record, July 7, 2016.
Biswas Baral, “Nepal’s Futile Attempt to Limit Free Speech,” The Wire, May 30, 2016.
“Nepal: Madhesis protest outside British embassy against 1816 treaty,” MSN News, December 9, 2016.
Asian News International (ANI), “Madhesis in Nepal to continue protests till next election, says separatist leader,” Yahoo News, February 2, 2016;
Anumeha Yadav, “The blockade is over but Nepal’s young Madhesis are determined to keep their agitation alive: An old demand that their Terai region should secede from the country is gaining new currency,” Scroll.in, February 10, 2016;
IANS, “Nepal slaps treason charges against three Madhesi activists,” Yahoo News, January 4, 2016.
“Nepal slaps treason charges against three Madhesi activists,” Free Press Journal, January 4, 2016.
“The Silent Majority: A Civil Rights Movement Grows in the Shadows of Nepal,” VICE, November 16, 2015.
Bikash Sangruala, “Nepal approves new constitution but secessionist threat lurks in south,” CS Monitor, September 17, 2015.
“Dr. CK Raut injured in police attack, admitted to hospital: Alliance for Independent Madhesh,” The Oslo Times, April 5, 2015.
“Blaming Amnesty of ‘secession’, top Nepal officials quit,” Indian Express, June 15, 2015.
“Nepal arrests treason row protesters near summit venue,” Dhaka Tribune, November 27, 2014.
Agence France-Presse, “Nepal arrests treason row protesters near summit venue,” Business Standard, November 26, 2014;
Gyanu Adhikari, “Nepal’s marginalised group protest crackdown: Jailed intellectual,
police action and alienation fuel protests in neglected southern border region of
Madhes,” Al Jazeera, November 19, 2014.
“Nepal under pressure to release Madheshi activist,” The National (UAE), October 22, 2014.
“Nepal charges political activist with treason,” Gulf Times, October 8, 2014.;
“Nepal activist seeking right to secession in constitution arrested,” Hindustan Times,
September 15, 2014.
“New demand for Madhes,” The Kathmandu Post, May 22, 2012.